The Toledo Rotary is hosting a blood drive that will benefit Sunshine from February 11-23, 2013. For every 35 pints donated above the Red Cross’s weekly average, $1,000 will be available to selected charities, like Sunshine. Give blood and help raise $1,000 for people with developmental disabilities from Sunshine. If you gave blood on or before December 12, 2012, you will be eligible to give at this drive!
The blood drive will be held at the Toledo Red Cross Donor Center (3510 Executive Parkway in Toledo). You can give blood between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on weekdays. Please be sure to tell them you are supporting Sunshine when you sign in! You should also write Sunshine’s name on the ticket that the Red Cross gives you. This will ensure that Sunshine’s name is included during the selection process. If you have questions, contact Bob Ampthor at email@example.com or ext. 3152.
Tips For Successful Donation From The Red Cross
- Maintain a healthy iron level in your diet by eating iron rich foods, such as red meat, fish, poultry, beans, spinach, iron-fortified cereals and raisins.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Drink an extra 16 oz. of water or nonalcoholic fluids before the donation.
- Eat a healthy meal before your donation. Avoid fatty foods, such as hamburgers, fries or ice cream before donating. (Fatty foods can affect the tests we do on your blood. If there is too much fat in your blood, your donation cannot be tested for infectious diseses and the blood will not be used for transfusion.)
- If you are a platelet donor, remember that your system must be free of aspirin for two days prior to donation.
- Remember to bring your donor card, driver’s license or two other forms of ID.